Low Carb Tortilla Recipe
As a low carber, you’ve probably shouted, “Where’s the bread?” at least once. I know all about it, it’s a tough craving to get over…
I’ve been without wheat bread for over 2 years now but it took me a few months to get past it. And by a few I mean like 5.
This low carb tortilla recipe is versatile and simple to make. I most often use them as a burritos, soft tacos or enchiladas. The egg and coconut flour didn’t have a dominant flavor, instead the seasonings were put at center stage. That being said, use seasonings that compliment your dish or palette (i.e. garlic, basil, etc.). Texture and strength was what I was looking for and I’m happy with how both turned out. I made mine a little thicker than I would have liked. But that’s due to my terrible pouring.
This is officially my go-to tortilla recipe for those days I’m sick of salads and scrambled eggs.
Make it at home
- Coconut Flour – Bob’s Red Mill Coconut Flour
- ⅓ cup water
- ¾ cup egg whites
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cummin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Combine all ingredients using food processor or blender. Let mixture rest for 7-8 minutes to allow coconut flour to absorb some of liquid.
- Preheat a lightly oiled 10-inch nonstick skillet over low-medium heat.
- Once moderately heated, pour ¼ cup or so of the batter into the center while tilting to spread the batter to about 7-8 inches in diameter. Flip tortilla once the top is no longer shinny and sticky. Repeat for second one.
- At this point the skillet is most likely fully heated. So, reapply oil and *pickup* the skillet and pour batter using same tilt technique and place back onto burner. Repeat for fourth one.
- Place each on parchment paper and slightly wipe off any access oil. Do not stack as they may stick to each other.
Protein 5.88g, Cals 54, Fat 1.00g, Carbs 4.34g, Fiber 2.50g — NET CARBS: 1.84g