My fiance and I have been wanting to make this dish for FOREVER but we were just to scared it would be too carby. But, it really wasnt to bad with a few moderations.
Pasta sauce is one of my favorite foods and this recipe has been modified to be reasonably healthy. I’d have to say that the combination of garlic, onions, basil and cayenne is just to die for! This recipe like most pasta recipes, makes a pretty large amount; perfect for large families or leftovers.
The best substitution for regular pasta that I’ve found has been zucchini noodles, which are particularly delicious. The best way to make them is using a julienne pealer, which you can buy here.
I haven’t included the process or nutritional information for the zucchini noodles, but if your interested I’d be welcome to do it in one of my next posts?
- 1 cup onions
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vodka
- 3 oz prosciutto
- 4 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch salt
- In a sauce pan, add olive oil, onions, garlic and prosciutto. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, basil, salt, and cayenne. Mix well.
- Add heavy cream and vodka, let simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Then serve over spagetti squash or zucchini noodles for a healthier option.
Protein 4.63g, Cals 124, Carbs 9.21g, Fiber 0.95g, Sugar Alcohol 0.00g — NET CARBS: 8.26g