I was never really into fried chicken, chicken nuggets or any variation of processed or breaded chicken, especially the ones offered at fast food chains – yuck! But like tons of others, I love that little crunch on the outside of a delicious piece of chicken.
Do you? I mean you have to at least a little since you are reading this!
My goal for this recipe is to bring the delicious combination of pecan crust and breading into one, while still being low in carbs!
It took quite a bit of trial and error to make sure the “breading” would stick, but after my third go around I’ve got a perfect recipe to share!
- 1 cup chopped pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 teaspoons water
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders
- Preheat oven to 375 and line large baking sheet with aluminum.
- Mix and crush first 6 ingredients, making sure that the pecans are finely chopped and well mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
- Whisk together eggs and water in a shallow bowl and place near pecan mixture.
- Dip chicken in pecan mixture, shaking off any excess. Drench chicken in egg mixture and then dredge in pecan mixture. At this point you want to make sure that the chicken is fully covered with your "breading."
- Place chicken on baking sheets. Spray both sides of the chicken with cooking spray, making sure not to drench them. Bake 16-18 minutes or until gold brown. I suggest rotating your pan around the halfway mark.