My Sugar Free Caramel Recipe
Lately I’ve been craving caramel and all it’s tasty combinations like coffee, cheesecake and snickers. LOVE snickers, that’ll hopefully be another recipe down the line! I’ve tried a few of the sugar free brands that have caramel syrup and it just doesn’t do it for me. So I jumped into the kitchen and got going on my very own sugar free caramel recipe.
For those who haven’t made homemade caramel, it can be a bit intimidating, but it’s honestly not too hard. It only requires a good eye and some patience. The real secret to caramel, is all in the color before pouring in the cream.
It’s best if you watch out for that brown, amber-colored look while making sure it doesn’t go much further than that and burn.
MAKE IT AT HOME
- Sweetener – Swerve Sweetener
Sugar Free Caramel Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sweetener like erythritol
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or caramel extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, add sweetener and water over medium-high heat whisking until sweetener is dissolved.
- Once mixture reaches a boil, only whisk every so often and watch closely until it reaches brown, amber-color (~8-12 minutes). Once reaching desired color, immediately add butter and whisk until melted and then immediately remove from heat.
- Slowly and carefully add in cream and whisk to combine until evenly combined.
- Add extract and salt, to taste.
- Transfer caramel to glass or heat-safe container until cooled. Once completely cool, store covered in refrigerator (sauce will thicken while cooling and refrigerating).
Serving size: 2 tablespoons (Total recipe makes about 16 servings or 2 cups)
Protein 0.38g, Cals 102, Fat 11.13g, Carbs 0.47g, Fiber 0.00g — NET CARBS: 0.47g