The late Summer BBQs and pool parties are pushing burgers and hot dogs hard right now and I’ve taken note to my cravings and created this cheeseburger salad over the weekend. It’s pretty darn delicious, actually, it’s probably one of the most satisfying meals I’ve had all Summer. I just wish I would have thought of it much sooner.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m aware that bunless dishes exist and I’ve had my fair share of them as you can see in my Five Guys Burger Bowl post. But I’ve never thought to put them on a fresh bed of lettuce, incorporating all of my favorite burger add-ons and condiments.
I especially didn’t think I could make it into a decent dinner to share with others. Boy was I wrong. Adding my favorites to the dish only made it better and I found myself actually being able to taste the add-ons more than I remember with an actual burger. The flavors were really coming alive!
Remember to make this your own. Everyone likes their burger a little different from the way its cooked to the toppings that are added. So, feel free to make changes that fit your preferences.
Make it at home
- Ketchup – Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup
- 4 burger patties (or 1 pound ground beef)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅔ cup red onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons mayo
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 2½ tablespoons white vinegar
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat then add onions and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring every minute or two until onions reach a caramel brown color, 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine ingredients for Burger Dressing, stir well, and place inside fridge.
- Season both sides of the burger patties with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Place patties on buttered skillet over medium heat. Cook each burger patty 3-4 minutes on each side, depending on desired doneness.
- Arrange lettuce on four different plates. Cut burgers into strips. Place caramelized onions, cheese and burgers on top of lettuce. Drizzle with Burger Dressing and add any additional toppings.
Protein 29.75g, Cals 335, Fat 29.13, Carbs 8.10g, Fiber 3.00g — NET CARBS: 5.10g
Leave a Reply