Low Carb Sloppy Joe
When I was shopping for the ingredients I realized that endive leaves aren’t sold everywhere. I couldn’t find a single endive not even a spot where they may have been but connectedly sold out. I finally stumbled upon romaine lettuce that I knew would work perfectly as a boat.
I had been planning this recipe for weeks now! I’ve had sloppy joes on my mind non stop for at least 2 months. My fiance was incredibly surprised that I didn’t move up the date for this low carb sloppy joe recipe, considering how much I’ve been talking about it.
In fact, when I was serving the sloppy joes up I could hear “finally” from across the table. And no, that’s not because it takes hours to make, because it only takes a mere ~20 minutes. Talk about dinner in a snap!
Make it at home
- Ketchup – Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 Romaine lettuce leaves
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ⅓ onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons reduced sugar ketchup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef until brown. Drain off most of liquids.
- Add onions, green peppers, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables begin to become tender.
- Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, and seasonings. Mix thoroughly and simmer for 8-12 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Spoon sloppy joe mixture in lettuce leaves and top with cheese.
Protein 11.90g, Cals 275, Fat 22.60g, Carbs 5.55g, Fiber 1.38g — NET CARBS: 4.17g