Queso dip – incredible cheesy, creamy and with just the right amount of heat. It’s one of my biggest weaknesses. In my dreams, I eat queso dip every day, just like you would eat soup!
But since that isn’t exactly normal and most queso recipes aren’t exactly low carb, I’ve cut back. This week was a little different though, I couldn’t keep my queso cravings at bay, so I did what any low carber currently on the #MakeYouMove campaign would do and went testing recipes. And bam! I made a simple low carb version, that was oh-so-delicious.
One of the biggest changes I made to traditional queso recipes was swapping out the heavy cream and/or half and half for unsweetened almond milk. Most recipes can call for at least a cup of that stuff.
Depending on where you look you can find some options that are a bit lower in carbs but the only brands at my grocery store had were nearly 2 carbs per 2 tablespoons. Ouch.
I opted for higher quality cheese blocks and grated them all on my own using the handy dandy cheese grater pictured from Kohl’s.
Curious of what you should serve it with? I’d suggest veggies like celery, broccoli, and cauliflower. However my favorite option is crunchy pepperoni chips, as pictured.
Low Carb Queso Dip
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 traspoon xanxtham gum
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 8 ounce sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounce pepper jack cheese shredded
- Place a small-medium pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and jalapeño, saute for 3-4 minutes to soften, then add almond milk and seasonings.
- Whisk in the xanxtham gum until full incoporated.
- Slowly start adding cheese. Stir and add by the handful, until the dip comes together. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a appropriate container.
Kick start entertaining with this tasty queso recipe and go #MakeYourMove!
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Kohl’s.70