Healthy & Low Carb Mexican Casserole
I’ve been brain storming for an easy and delicious mexican recipe I can make for cinco de mayo. Before low carb, I was pretty accustom to dishes like enchiladas, burritos and best of all, fajitas. After deciding a crustless dish was the way to go, POOF! casserole came to mind! Casseroles like this low carb mexican casserole, combine some of your favorite ingredients and flavors all into one baked dish.
Deciding the base was the hard part, most recipes tend to use tortillas and meat. But, I was feeding a low carb vegetarian, so neither were an option. Once I really got into some deep foodie thinking, I came up with cauliflower. Talk about yum! So, the base consisted of cauliflower that was perfectly mixed with peppers, cheese, onions, tomatoes and more cheese. I choose tomatoes instead of salsa, mainly for texture. Your more than welcome to put whatever you want on top of the deliciously melted cheese, but I went with sour cream and a few avocado chuncks.
What I love most about this recipe is it easy turned put aside for leftovers, just refigerate or freeze than reheat when your ready to devour!
I assure you, you won’t regret trying this recipe.
Make it at home
- 7″ x 11.6″ x 2″ Baking Pan – Marinex Bakeware Dish
- Chili Powder – Simply Organic Chili Powder (This stuff is great and surprisingly affordable!)
- Ground Cumin – Simply Organic Cumin
- Food Processor or Cuisinart Boxed Grater (Either option works great to create grated caufliflower also known as cauliflower rice.)
- 1 head cauliflower
- ½ white onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1½ cups cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Warm skillet over medium heat. Mix and cook onions, peppers, chili powder and cumin, stir every 2 minutes. You want to make sure the peppers roast. Once roasted remove from heat; set aside.
- Rice cauliflower and microwave for 3 minutes. Mix in 1 cup cheese and tomatoes. Mix the cauliflower mixture with the roasted pepper mix.
- Coat a 7" x 11.6" x 2" baking dish with cooking spray. Spread entire casserole mix into baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and baking for 30 minute to 35 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish to your liking.
Protein 4.56g, Cals 69.42, Carbs 4.50g, Fiber 1.67g, Sugar Alcohol 0.00g — NET CARBS: 2.83g