Low Carb Mac and Cheese
This recipe for low carb mac and cheese is far from typical but it sure brings some of the same flavors you love from the classics. It’s super creamy, cheesy and packs a huge serving of veggies. The secret to making mac and cheese low carb is all in changing the macaroni from grain filled pasta to a similar grain free substitute.
With a little trial and error I was able to find the best substitute – boiled zucchini. It’s versatile, tender, and pairs phenomenally with savory flavors.
Did I mention it’s cheesy? Well, it’s cheesy. Very cheesy. It’s rich, gooey and unforgettable. I say it’s unforgettable not because I only made it a few days ago. It’s because I can’t stop thinking about every delightful melty bite.
Make it at home
- Ground Mustard – Simply Organic Mustard
- 8 zucchinis, peeled
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 oz cream cheese, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cut the ends off the zucchinis and then slice the zucchinis into about 1" quarter rounds.*
- Fill a medium-large saucepan halfway full with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the zucchini and reduce the heat to medium-high. Simmer the zucchini, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until opaque and tender enough to easily insert a fork into the rounds. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, simmer heavy cream. Add cream cheesy and mustard until smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese, salt, and pepper until completed combined. Then add remaining cheese and stir until the cheese has completely melted.
- Pour in drained, boiled zucchini and stir to combine.
Protein 19.30g, Cals 420, Fat 30.50g, Carbs 13.83g, Fiber 4.00g — NET CARBS: 9.80g