Italian cannolis have always been one of my favorite desserts so not having had a bite of one for nearly 2 years has had its towel on my poor little taste buds. So, after I glanced over at the bakery aisle and saw a batch of fresh cannolis, I knew it was time for some low carb experimenting!
Low Carb Cannoli Bites
There was some trial and error involved with the pastry tart shell, but now I can confidently say “I’ve got it down!” My trouble shooting will hopefully say you sometime in the kitchen, so you can spend more time enjoy these little bites instead of perfecting them.
I was planning on adding mascarpone to the low carb cannoli cups filling but for some odd reason I had trouble locating it at my local grocery store, so I decided to do without.
I’ve had plenty of family members and friends leave it out when making their cannolis as well, so I didn’t feel to odd doing so. In all honesty, it tastes just as good if not better than what I remember anyways.
These little bites are sure to make you think your cheating, but in reality it’s perfectly low carb and totally delicious.
I promise you’ll take a bite of one of these little cannoli pastry cups and just want to devour them all!
Make it at home
- Sweetener – Swerve Sweetener
- Almond flour – Buy Now
- Sugar free chocoloate chips – Buy Now
- Unsweetened Coco Powder – Buy Now
- Cannoli Cups:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 5 tablespoons sweetener
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon dark cocoa powder
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- Cannoli Filling:
- 1 container (15 oz) Ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup sweetener
- 2 tablespoonss of sugar free chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all cup/tart ingredients until well combined. Spray mini muffin tin with non stick cooking spray. Press cup mixture into mini tin making a large area in the middle to fit cannoli mixture. Bake for 15 minutes and then let cool.
- Mix all cannoli filling with electronic mixture until fluffy. Let cannoli filling sit in the fridge until cups are completely cooled.
- Once cooled, pipe cannoli mixture into cannoli cups and top with small sugar free chocolate chips.
Protein 3.77g, Cals 109, Carbs 3.48g, Fiber 1.13g, Sugar Alcohol 0.58g — NET CARBS: 1.77g